Saturday, January 03, 2009

Difficult Questions in Troubling Times.

Many of you in sending me your questions by email seem to keep coming back to the same questions about God, the Mind of God, the Unified Field, and the quantum field. Some of you would hope that I could give a consistent answer or better metaphor to describe such terms as these. I wish I could. I also wish that I could be consistent in my answers to you, however I am not able to do so simply because my views of what these metaphors or answers to these questions may be keeps changing as I learn more and more and think more and more about the meanings of my answers.
I am not alone in the predicament. Even the Buddha and Robert Oppenheimer the physicist-leader of the Manhattan atom bomb project faced this same problem.
One day a wanderer came into the village where the Buddha taught. His name was Vacchagotta. He asked the Enlightened One whether or not there was a soul (Atman). The following was their somewhat brief and one-sided conversation:
VACCHAGOTTA: Venerable Gotama, is there a Soul?
BUDDHA: (Silence.)
VACCHAGOTTA: Then Venerable One, is there no Soul?
BUDDHA: (Silence.)
VACCHAGOTTA: (Gets up and goes away.)
Later Ananda, a disciple of the Buddha, appeared and asked the Enlightened One to comment on his previous silence. The Buddha said,
Ananda, when asked by Vacchagotta the Wanderer, “Is there a Soul?”, if I had answered: “There is a soul”, then that would be siding with those recluses and brahmanas who hold to the eternalist theory. And when asked by the wanderer: “Is there no soul?” If I had answered: “There is no soul”, then that would be siding with those recluses and brahmanas who hold to the annihilationist theory.
Again, Ananda, when asked by Vacchagotta: “Is there a soul?”, if I had answered: “There is”, would that be in accordance with my knowledge that all dhammas [ways of inquiry, paths to enlightenment] are without soul? And when asked by the Wanderer, “Is there no soul?”, if I had answered, “There is no soul”, then that would have been a greater confusion to the already confused Vacchagotta [who earlier had inquired into what happens after death and was confused by the Buddha’s answer]. For he would have thought: “Formerly indeed I had a soul, but now I haven’t got one.”
We can compare this legend with one well known from quantum physics. One day a student wandered into the chambers of Robert Oppenheimer, the physicist who in the 1940s headed the scientific team that constructed the atomic bomb. As the story goes the student asked Oppenheimer about the existence and movement of the tiny subatomic electron within the confines of the atom, to which Oppenheimer answered,
If we ask, for instance, whether the position of the electron remains the same, we must say “no.” If we ask whether the electron’s position changes with time, we must say “no.” If we ask whether it is in motion, we must say “no.” If we ask whether it is standing still, we must say “no.”
Oppenheimer’s quote and the Buddha’s response to Ananda regarding the soul point to the same thing. For in both Buddhist logic and quantum physics, it is necessary not to hold any fixed opinion but to see things as they are without mental projections—especially when such answers require you to have such mental projections in order to answer them.
I am sure that if I had chosen to simply remain silence to your many questions about God, the Mind of God, and the unified field most of you would have been upset at my silence just as Vacchagotta was. Since I chose to answer these questions as Robert Oppenheimer did, I would be faced with telling you different and seemingly contradictory answers from time to time as I apparently did thus as the Buddha predicted leading to confusion that the Buddha avoided by keeping silent, but I not being as wise as the Venerable One fell into the trap.
So now once and for all I ask your forgiveness if I have led you astray or caused you confusion. Frankly I felt frustrated when I saw that you kept asking me the same questions over and over again. There simply is no consistent answer to such questions regarding God as What is . . .? Enjoy life. It is a mystery.




17 Comments:

Blogger first-castle said...

Dr. Wolf:

I love your analogy. Life is filled with mystery, and it’s wonderful how mystery and inquiry go hand in hand. You may enjoy a short chapter I have on the linkage between the two realities of existence. It's in my latest book, "Our Pathway to the Stars." Would you like to see it?
first-castle (info@ourpathwaytothestars.com)

January 3, 2009 at 5:24 PM  
Blogger Tom J. Byrne said...

The more we know the more we know we don't know.

That's what is becoming wonderful about science. For a time it seemed as though scientists knew it all and there was no forgiveness for asking hard questions and debating them in public.

Now everyone seems to be a lot freer to discuss and debate whether they be scientists or not.

I'm not. I'm an artist but I've always loved science.

January 4, 2009 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger XMoneyxinxdaxbanksx said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 4, 2009 at 5:03 PM  
Blogger Hyphatia said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 4, 2009 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Hyphatia said...

Hola doctor...
es para mi muy emocionante poder escribirle estas letras,, tengo el libro del secreto y no habia caido en cuenta que usted hablo alli, en el libro encontre si sitio web que logicamente me trajo hasta aqui...

Ahora.. le doy las gracias por todas las cosas que he aprendido sobre mi misma gracias a ustes,

ahora siempre, pense que la vida era un sueño recurrente, cuando hablas de, este es un sueño normal, yo podia manejar mis sueños de formaconciente es mas aun lo hago,,, y soy un super una super mujer... tengo una buena vida en mis sueños,,, ahora como traigo esos sueños a mi realidad colectiva?


Hello doctor ...
is very exciting for me to write these letters, I have the book of secret and had not fallen in mind that you speak there, if found in the book website that logically brought me up here ...

Now .. I thank you for all the things I've learned about myself through ustes,

now always thought that life was a recurring dream, when you talk to, this is a normal sleep, I could manage my dreams is even more formaconciente I do, and I am a woman ... a super super I have a good life in my dreams,,, now my dream to bring these collective reality?

January 4, 2009 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger XMoneyxinxdaxbanksx said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 5, 2009 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger Rex said...

Dr. Wolf,

Thank you again for your email response!

This posting is interesting as I empathize with people's struggles to find some understanding of God. This is exactly what my current project attempts to explore. Below I have provided the last paragraph for the overview of a paper called "A vision of God". As the title suggests it's just a vision or a thought experiment of sorts. I know it's only a paragraph, but maybe there is something to think about here in response to this blog...

Collectively we affect each other and the environment around us in many ways, whether it’s individual to individual or as a group. This could include groups of people, from the love of a family to the tension and volatility of the entire world. What happens in this world can and does affect the universe beyond. Each one of us is a part of the greater consciousness that guides our lives and all that is. Going even further to attempt to perceive the ultimate consciousness of what is truly "the all", we must consider that there is one “all” as in one will and one God, a belief unto itself held by many people. We are by the design of our existence intricately connected. To begin to fathom the vastness of the great expanse that is the entire cosmos or omni-verse down to a single world, nation, person, cell, molecule, atom, electron, quark, and furthermore to the most finite quantum theoretical Zero Point or string and/or membrane at the Unified Field can truly boggle the mind. This field is omni-present and of pure consciousness at the very core of all creation from an existence before the birth of the universe to its proposed death and beyond. This encompasses “all” space/time, “all” dimensions, “all” frequencies, “all” possibilities and probabilities to “all” thought and “all” that we still can't yet imagine in “all” of the omni-verse. To open the mind and explore such ideals may be a start to comprehend and understand the body, consciousness, and nature of God.

January 5, 2009 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger gavriil1983 said...

Dr. Wolf:
I liked your interviews in "what the bleep" and "the secret", you made really phenomenal points and at the same time made me laugh out loud at points.
Also, I liked the difficult questions post; as you're willing to say (as you did in what the bleep) that there are some things that are in the category of "I just don't know".
There are a lot of people in science and religion who are afraid to say just that.
"Enjoy life, its a mystery" is something I've heard a variant of before from my priest back in halifax. He was explaining about the same questions people will never understand.
It has always fascinated me to see how both religion and quantum physics when discussed by rational people like yourself bring up very similar points (albeit in different lingo). Thanks for sharing your writing and interviews with the world.

August 1, 2011 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger There's only butterflies... said...

www.uncannytiming.blogspot.com
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? I have come to question "if a tree falls in the forest and there is no one (consciousness) there to hear it, is the tree even there at all? The human race is about to experience a fundamental shift in our thinking, and about how we perceive our world. We are experiencing some viscous growing pains, but I have faith that we'll get there.
This blog entry reminds me of the character on Star Trek - The Next Generation named "Q". It took me the longest time to figure out what the heck they were trying to say with him. What an "ah ha" moment that was!

January 17, 2012 at 7:20 AM  
Blogger Jo Jo said...

A successful life is a journey, not a destination. Flights to Goa

February 28, 2012 at 2:17 AM  
Blogger Tee Stoney said...

Indeed. Mystery is hand in hand with wonder, one of the greatest gifts of awareness, of consciousness. Further, we are meant to go out and discover answers for ourselves, rather than have them spoon fed to us. Ultimately, it is up to each and every one of us to grab our spiritual walking sticks and strike out to find out.

December 7, 2013 at 2:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

more,that is still you may do something to expand on it.yhanks for sharing with us.I think I am going the clearness in your post is simple spectacular and I can take for granted you are an expert on the field.Well with your permission.Like your way of seeing this things. i'll be checking in on a regularly now....keep up the good work.

Toshiba PVT-375BT

July 24, 2015 at 5:12 AM  
Blogger Shaahayda said...

Dr. Wolf,

Excellent piece. Question: Do certain sound vibrations affect the w*w formula in a positive way or in the direction of the chanter's intentions?

July 26, 2015 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Doctor,

Controversy on the number 42 in " The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ".

I hope you can spare a few minutes to scroll through my blog.
It contains previously unknown dimensions of pyramid Giza and the relevance of numbers 42 and 69.

I have a humble blog at:

http://lourieeng.blogspot.com

DECODING the 42.


AND WHAT MAKES THESE NUMBERS SO UNIQUE IN THE PYRAMIDS .
* The only numbers whose sum total CAN EVER once added form a Ying Yang not equal
22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88 or 99.

ARE! 42 & 27 THAT GIVES A 69 96 ( 696 ).

27 plus 42 = 69 / 96 = a very important 165.

Regards,

Lourens Engelbrecht
South Africa.
Mobile: +27 796955 833

September 22, 2015 at 3:24 AM  
Blogger brian ewers art music science.com said...

Hey Fred. saw your book 'time loops and space twists' on amazon. Cant wait to by it. By the gods you've beaten me to the punch! I have recently published a book on amazon books titled 'all matter in the universe is created by light'. I thought this might happen. I came to the same conclusion as you did independently and had no idea someone else (you) had come to this realization, as is often the case when a true discovery has been made. I have a model of gravity waves which correlate precisely with waves of light!

To comment or contact, i am found at, physicsdebate.blogspot.com or brianewers954@gmail.com

June 7, 2018 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Limon Bhuiyan said...

Quantum Yoga

Quantum Yoga is the ultimate work-out for smart people- amazing results, with little effort. Most forms of exercise only strengthen muscles.
Quantum Yoga tones, builds and strengthens the muscles, keeps internal glands and organs healthy, makes the mind keen and alert, and initiates mental and physical healing.
Quantum Yoga is an easier, modern form of ancient yoga. The yoga that prehistoric men started practicing 5000 years ago for spiritual pursuits has now become the revolution for mind-body health in the 21st century.
After almost three decades of research and observation, the yoga meditation of Bangladesh simplified the complicated breathing procedures associated with ancient yoga, developing a type of yoga that is simpler and easier, but equally effective.
Monchhobi of health, a powerful visualization technique, is incorporated in Quantum Yoga that makes it immensely beneficial yet easy to practice. Quantum Yoga is one of the easiest and most fruitful workouts around.

To know more click Quantum

July 8, 2020 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Salih Kırcalar said...

Dear Dr. Wolf,

Could you please evaluate my thoughts on the concept of time?

Quantum mechanics is a concrete result of the General Theory of
Relativity. According to the General Theory of Relativity, a clock on
Jupiter lags behind a clock on Earth. A clock on earth lags behind a
clock on the moon. they ended the theory here. However, I continue the
theory with the result I deduced from the Time Flow Formula. One hour
on the moon lags behind a clock on the alpha ray. A clock in the Alpha
beam lags behind a clock in the Beta beam. a clock in beta ray lags
behind a clock in x ray. Concrete results of the General Theory of
Relativity begin to be seen as masses and energies get smaller. These
are the same theory. Large masses have a very long life. Small masses
have very short lifetimes. As the lifetimes get shorter,
transformations from mass to energy and from energy to mass begin. In
summary Quantum mechanics is a concrete result of the General Theory
of Relativity.

This is a result from the Timeflow Formula. (Timeflow=Time/Energy).
Every simple physics formula explains a law of nature. In the Timeflow
Formula; It tells that a time equal to the amount of energy will be
released in a physical process. You can find more information on my
website. (timeflow.org).

In addition,The flow of the thought energy intensity in our brain is
body pain, unhappiness and boredom, joy, happiness and love,
sleep, and finally death, respectively, from high energy to low
energy. At the moment
to sleep, if we had a good sleep, our thought energy is very close to
zero or zero. When the energy flow intensity increases in our brain,
according to the 'Timeflow Formula (Timeflow=Time/Energy). The
timeflow will slow down. As the energy density (power) decreases, the
timeflow will accelerate. In the case of sleep and death, the timeflow
will be infinite. The timeflow formula explains very clearly and
simply that this situation, which is perceived as psychological time
is actually a purely physical event. I think it would be very useful
for psychology experts to evaluate the 'Timeflow' Formula and the
philosophical interpretation of the formula.

Note: You can find my original articles at
https://www.galilean-electrodynamics.com

Best Regards
Salih Kırcalar








September 9, 2023 at 5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home